Who We Are
1925, Mr. Bennett Beardshaw founded Special Steel Company
on Bacon Lane in Sheffield. Demand for the heat treatment
furnaces grew rapidly and so inevitably, the need for testing
In 1939 the test house was built and Special Testing Works
Ltd was formed. Over the following years, the latest specification
testing equipment was installed to ensure Special Testing
maintained it position as one of the industry leaders. As
technology progressed, and the introduction of Non-Destructive
evaluation techniques established, Special Testing (Non-Destructive)
Ltd was formed to offer these modern testing services.
out of a modern facility, on the site of the original testhouse,
the recently re-furbished Douglas Building houses the Mechanical
Testing Laboratory, the Metallurgical Laboratory and the Analytical
Department. Due to the processes carried out, and the need
for craneage facilities, Special Testing (Non-Destructive)
Ltd operate out of a separate facility on the same site, next
to the Test Piece preparation department.
more than 65 years after the formation of Special Testing,
the philosophy remains the same, and Special Testing continue
to invest heavily in the latest equipment to ensure they remain
as one of the countries leading material testing specialists.